Tuesday 17 June 2014

Digital Tools


Digital Tools

Image Copyright Careercosmo.com



We work in a world of digital these days where there is a plethora of different connected tools to manage every aspect of our businesses on-line or to help us with productivity. As with the physical world there are more options than we can contemplate, deciding on the right tool for you, your business and your lifestyle.

I thought I would create a run-down of the digital tools I use, why and what made me choose them over other options.

LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com)
This is the most important tool in my work life.  I use it constantly most days. Its the most comprehensive connectivity tool for business on the planet and doesnt really have any hardcore competitors.  I have a premium account which is the equivalent of around £30 per month.  The amount of business that comes to me through LinkedIn totally outweighs the cost.

Twitter (www.twitter.com)
I use twitter as both a way to circulate business related information or insight, but also as a primary research tool. I can post questions or ask for comments on a range of subjects and get a wide range of replies (including some rubbish) but on the whole I find it useful in a business context in lots of different ways.  The best aspect of this I guess is its free.

Dropbox (www.dropbox.com)
I often need to transfer files between different locations to allow work colleagues access to files and images. Dropbox has always been my weapon of choice - although there are now other options in this space. Dropbox has been reliable throughout and I've never had issues. The space provided with the free account is more than enough for most people. I store documents I use most frequently in dropbox so I have access to them from anywhere on any computer.

Skype (www.skype.com)
What a great tool. I use this mainly with international contacts and clients. Its free and extremely good quality in most calls these days. It's been a great improvement in business relations to be able to see the other person rather than just hear their voice. It also now keeps conversation histories which helps with business continuity issues.

Microsoft Office (www.microsoftoffice.com)
The latest version (2013) of office is essentially an on-line tool. Microsoft moved everything across to be browser based for this version, allowing files to be saved in the cloud. I still prefer MS Office to the opensource/free competitors. Its not cheap but I would still rather invest into this as a tool. I have become a real fan of Microsoft One Note. Its a great tool for collating notes, web-links and other assets into a format that is organised and useful. If your an information junkie then check it out.

AVS Media Tools (www.avs4you.com)

There are plenty of moments where I need to do some jiggery-pokery with images or audio etc. AVS produce a complete suite of tools which allow me to convert any audio/video/image between formats or edit the content. I've been using this tool kit for years and I really like it.  Tools are easy to use and are very reliable.  At £20 a year for access to the tools its value for money if you do a lot of asset related work.

SumoPaint (www.sumopaint.com/www/)
When it comes to graphic design, Photoshop has been the 800lb gorilla in that market forever.  Its the premium tool used by the major agencies and is essentially treated like the default application (Illustrator on the Mac is the like for like comparison). The issue with Photoshop has always been the cost. Its seen as a pro-tool and comes at a pro cost.  SumoPaint is a browser based version of a lite version of Photoshop. Its free and if you just need to create something every now and then its fantastic.  I so actually use Photoshop but if you fall into the casual use category then check SumoPaint out.

Sublime Text 3 (http://www.sublimetext.com/)
If your a coder then your going to need some form of editor. I use Sublime Text. Its simple and straight forward and it reminds me of some of the old-school editors I used back in the 80's and 90's. The free version is fairly comprehensive and will cover most coders requirements.

DueDil (www.duedil.com)
When you deal with new people and companies there is always a small element of danger. Not everyone we encounter is as ethical as we would like. There is also the tendency for most people to present themselves as a rip-roaring success, they feel its necessary for them to do so for you to want to deal with them. DueDil is a simple way of checking the background of companies that you are dealing with.  The basic check is free and gives you a sense of the size and shape of the company your dealing with.










No comments:

Post a Comment